Cinzia Cervato, Morrill Professor of Geological and Atmospheric Sciences, is the new LAS Senior Faculty Fellow for Strategic Initiatives.
Cervato will lead the strategic planning process for the college, beginning this August. She will also help identify other projects as part of the college’s planning for the coming year.
"I am looking forward to learning more about the workings of the college and to actively contribute to and participate in ongoing and new projects," she said. "I am passionate about student success, and LAS plays a crucial role in the education of all Iowa State students. Faculty in the college have a tremendous impact on the lives of our students, and I am looking forward to working with the college’s leadership team to ensure that we use our resources effectively and efficiently."
Cinzia served as a faculty fellow in the Office of the Provost from 2013 to 2016 and brings extensive expertise with data management and analysis. During her fellowship in the Provost’s office, she developed and coordinated professional development activities for early career and non-tenure eligible faculty.
She said planning and decisions at the college and university level are driven by data used to track progress and document successes. Her background and passion for data analysis will allow her to strategically assist the Dean.
"I learned a tremendous amount about higher education and administration, met the people that at ISU ensure that faculty like me can do our job as instructors and researchers, and became familiar with the complex dynamics involved in the management of an institution of the size of Iowa State," she said about her fellowship in the Provost’s office. "I look forward to applying what I learned to ensure that our college is strategically placed to grow and thrive in the next five years and beyond."
Cervato will hold a 25 percent appointment with the college. The remaining 75% of her time will be devoted to her faculty duties in her home department, the Department of Geological and Atmospheric Sciences.